We are actively seeking volunteers! We have an especially high need now, and volunteers can help with a wide range of projects. Recent example projects have included:
- Creating a finding guide for the personal papers of a 19th century Scotish missionary.
- Sorting and preserving the records of a Baptist congregation dating back to 1876.
- Re-cataloguing a book of 16th century hymnals.
By volunteering with us, you'll be helping the oldest Baptist historical organization (founded in 1853). The American Baptist Historical Society is the archive and historical interpreter of a major religious denomination -- American Baptist Churches USA -- made up of thousands of churches and 1.5 million people.
As the oldest Baptist historical organization with the largest and most diverse collection of Baptist historical material, some of our holdings are of irreplaceable value to the church and the nation.
- ABHS serves as keeper of the record of the modern missionary movement.
- Our shelves hold unparalleled resources documenting home and overseas mission work, African-American church, and the social gospel movement.
- We publish the oldest Baptist journal, The American Baptist Quarterly, interpreting for modern readers the lives and issues of the past that shape who we are today.